Cape Atlantic Woodturners Newsletter
Volume #4, Issue #11
Subject: Club Minutes 11/18/2014
Those in attendance were: Possible new member Arthur Miller, Arthur Bichsel, Joe Jones, Jeff Schnell, Bob Broschart, Tom Henry, Betty Campbell, Doug James, Kathy Fulginiti, Gerald Bruman, and Allen Tasoff.
The Meeting was opened by Gerald at 7:00PM.
He reported that he got a phone call from AAW asking if the free Magazine distributed at the
last meeting was helpful in recruiting new members. Gerald told them because of our clubs small size we do not see very much in new recruitment and stimulating past members.
He also informed the club that Betty Campbell has been selected to represent our club in the next AAW Scholarship raffle. The Scholarship will be a week at the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brass Town N.C. If we are lucky she will be picked to represent us.
Next item was looking for any nominations for next years club officers. After a long Silence and no volunteer, we assume the officers will stay the same unless a member will email Gerald and place his/her name for consideration.
Gerald asked if all the members had answered the online survey for planning next years meetings and work shops. A planning meeting will take place on December 13th at as yet not disclosed location. All are invited to participate.
Show and Tell was next:
- Joe Jones showed a Cherry/Walnut/Ash Small Bowl, and a Sea Urchin Ornament. - Kathy Fulginiti brought a "Throw away" Laminated Penn Assy. Beautifully done. - Jeff Schnell showed an assortment of purchased items he picked up. - Allen Tasoff brought an old Burl in process vase he needed help in stabilizing the piece so he could finish turning it.
- Tom Henry brought more Washington State "Big Leaf Maple Burl" wood and some in work Penn blanks which he stabilized with Wood Hardener and described the process. A complete finished pen was also shown.
The "Bring Back" was won by Arthur and was given a cut log for next month by Gerald.
Tom announced the present VoTech Classes were complete and the next class starts the week of Jan 12th, 2015 at the VoTec.
The Raffle produced a total of $57.00 to add to our treasury.
Doug James was our nights "Guest Turner". He demonstrated the use of the McNaughton Center Saver Coring System. Unfortunately the wood sample he was demonstrating on ripped out of the chuck splintering off the parts base. It was going well until the accident took place. It was a good try... Maybe the 3rd time will be the the one.
Next month’s meeting will be our Holiday Snack Meeting. Everyone is asked to sign up as to your attendance and what snack you and your guest are going to bring. All members are asked to bring something from their past turning that they are fond of to show the attendees what are some of the turnings the club produce.
Doug James Starting with the McNaughton Coring System
Setting the Parameter for the First Blank
Turning the Inside Small Bowl
A Typical Set of Bowl Blanks Cored From One Blank
Joe Jones Cherry, Walnut and Ash Thinamajig Bowl
Sea Urchin Ornament
Kathy Fulginiti’s Throw Away Wood Laminated Pen Assembly
Tom Henry with a Big Leaf Maple Burl Blank from Washington State
Doug James’ Hidden Ring Bowl
Up Coming Events
- The next meeting will be 16th 7:00 PM at the Library.
- We will be having our Holiday Meeting. Please bring your favorite Snack along with your significant other/friend.
- Also bring some of your past Show &Tell projects to demonstrate what we are capable of.
See you there!
President - Gerald Bruman
Vice President - Arthur Bichsel
Secretary - John Andrews
Treasurer - Tom Henry
Photographer / Video - Jeffery Schnell
Education - Tom Henry
Newsletter Editor - Arthur Bichsel
Webmaster/Secretary- Gerald Mc Grantham
Website - capeatlanticwoodturners.com